Wiki need advice...

ginawithag

Contributor
Best answers
I have taken the CPC exam 3 times and failed. I gave up and not opened a book for 6 months. I currently bill for a large pediatric office and have been doing so for about 10 years. It's basic glorified charge entry for primary services. Being certified is a personal goal so I took the online course then the exams. I went into my overview on AAPC and something made me call them and the lady told me that I paid ($325) for an exam that I didn't have to pay because I have unlimited retakes until 5/31/2020. So now I feel like I've wasted 6 months not knowing that I could been studying and trying to pass this exam and not have given up. So now my time is limited and there are only 2 locations near me where I can take the test. Am I wasting my time? Or do I go for it? I'm basically starting all over again...Very frustrated

I'd go for it! I know it's stressful, but it won't cost extra. Did they give you any specifics of what your trouble areas might be? Are there spots you feel are your weakest?. Concentrate on those areas to see if that will bring your score up to passing. You might find you remember more than you think!

Thank you for the kind words. My husband actually said the same thing..that I would be surprised at how much I would remember. And yes they did specify my trouble areas so gonna keep trying.🤔

I vote that you go for it too! I can speak from experience as I took the exam 4 times and did not pass. I took the study course too. So, I quit and then rethought my decision 3 years later. I to had worked for a practice coding, pre-certing, billing you name and it was all my decision to obtain my certification. I found a few new resources that truly helped me especially with notations in my books. I finally realized too that it is not how much you memorize as it is how you choose your answers. Remember to understand the guidelines as you will always need to know them. Best wishes!