Wiki Need advice, please

Best answers
Hello all,

I need your advice on my future plans. Here is my scenario – I passed AAPC – CPC certification exam last month, and I also have a Master’s degree in an unrelated field. I am trying to get a coding job – but haven’t had any luck yet. Most jobs (in Portland, Oregon, or remote) need some level of experience. I have no experience in the healthcare sector.

I was wondering, doing another certification (e.g., from AAPC, or from AHIMA) – would that increase my chances of getting my foot in the door? Or should I continue looking for job, without aiming for any other certification? I realize that there are jobs available for coders with experience – I am trying to get that experience. I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Rubi
( rubi.paul@gmail.com )

Need advice please

Unfortunately your scenario is very common........that's the reality of the coding world I'm afraid.
While I understand employers do want coders who know what they're doing, there is also the other argument that it is often better to train new coders who have no time-induced bad habits.

It's not uncommon for coders who've been in the business a long time to think they know it all....."I've been in this business for 25 years so you can't tell me everything". Conversely, having the CPC means you've conquered the test but have no clue how to code.
For you, and countless others in the same position, the mantra is to get some experience in the medical field, whether it be in data input, A/R follow-up, appointment scheduling, anything like that. For aspiring coders these kind of positions can often lead to a move into coding.

I realize I haven't directly answered your question but having more certifications still puts you in the same position....you have no experience. So try to seek out those ancillary medical billing, A/R, data entry positions first and see where they take you. You also need to decide in what coding direction you want to go. There are many choices out there. Once you've made that decision then go for another certification relevant to your chosen path.

Many coders also take the COC certification which provides knowledge of facility coding; that way you have physician and facility coding possibilities to aim for further down the line.

I wish you luck anyway. With such a hugely overcrowded coding job market and the decision of many companies to outsource jobs abroad, it's a difficult time. Just stand out from the crowd in any positions you apply for.