Wiki Mua - patella and stiffness

LLRodgers

Best answers
Hello,

I have one that the patient had a TKA on 12/16/14, they have come in for a follow up and the diagnois is TKA with lateral tracking patella and stiffness. They are going to do an MUA. They are out of the Global Period.

Not sure if I should add a modifier 57 to the E/M Code? Is an MUA considered a minor surgery and therefore would not get a modifier 57?

Here is how I was going to code it V54.81, V43.65, 99213?

Would this considered a complication? :confused:

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,
Linda

You stated the patient is outside of the global period for the TKR and they are being seen for lateral tracking patella and stiffness and will have an MUA performed which has a 10 day global period.

Modifier 57 would not be appropriate as it is for decision for surgery that has global days greater than 10 days and is performed within 24 hours of the E&M.

If the MUA were performed at the same session as the E&M, you would use modifier 25, assuming that the E&M is a separate service from the manipulation.

as for the diagnoses, you would need to code for the lateral tracking patella and stiffness as this is the reason for the visit and procedure.