Wiki Most Valuable Resource

maryberg11

Contributor
Best answers
Hi, everyone. I'm new here. Just recently passed my CPC exam. I would like to know what your most valuable resource is for coding.
I have limited funds, so I want to make sure whatever I might purchase is well worth the money.

I would also like to know how often you replace your coding books.

Thanks so much!

Mary

You can't buy your most valuable resource. To be your best coder, whatever that turns out to be, you have to have the fire from within. If you have that, things may get in your way and slow you down, but you will prevail. I hate to say this but there are coders that will post a question here and wait for an answer that they could get with just a little bit of researching. If you do your own research and still have a question, by all means post it here for help, but don't post every little question here and then wait for someone to answer. As far as coding books or any additional resources, don't buy anything until you start working and know what specialty you will be working in. That will determine what you will need to get next.

Congratulations!
Your employer should provide you with the tools you would need to do your day to day job. I have never had an employer that did not provide at the very least annual books. Even 1 denied claim is worth the cost of annual books. If I had to pay out of my own pocket for books, I would probably not buy EVERY year, but make sure I carefully reviewed the annual changes and note them in last year's book. Depending on your responsibilities, and number of employees doing specific responsibilities, your employer may or may not purchase books for each employee.
Most employers will also have a subscription to some type of online coding tool - Supercoder, SpeedECoder, AAPC Coder, EncoderPro, etc. Those online sites usually have tools to look up LCDs/NCDs, CCI edits, global days, etc. Generally, each offers different levels of subscriptions, with additional tools for the more expensive options.
If you get a job in a specialty, there are often books dedicated to common specialties that could be helpful. I work in gynecologic oncology (which is a very specialized subspecialty) and rarely find the general ob/gyn books to be much help, so I don't bother.

Good computer, ICD-10 and CPT books (HCPCS is not an every year book for me), good headset (if you work from home), good internet (if you work from home) are all very important. What your employer pays for varies from nothing to everything (some even pay for CEUs and membership dues).

Aside from those, my next "best purchase" is probably my TCI Supercoder subscription (first year was 85 ish). With this, not only can is it a coder, but it also comes with webinar CEUS (I think it was 12-15 a year, but I am not certain). There are currently 15 available at 1 CEU each. I believe my renewal will be at a bit over a hundred for a year.

You can't buy your most valuable resource. To be your best coder, whatever that turns out to be, you have to have the fire from within. If you have that, things may get in your way and slow you down, but you will prevail. I hate to say this but there are coders that will post a question here and wait for an answer that they could get with just a little bit of researching. If you do your own research and still have a question, by all means post it here for help, but don't post every little question here and then wait for someone to answer. As far as coding books or any additional resources, don't buy anything until you start working and know what specialty you will be working in. That will determine what you will need to get next.

Thank you.

Good computer, ICD-10 and CPT books (HCPCS is not an every year book for me), good headset (if you work from home), good internet (if you work from home) are all very important. What your employer pays for varies from nothing to everything (some even pay for CEUs and membership dues).

Aside from those, my next "best purchase" is probably my TCI Supercoder subscription (first year was 85 ish). With this, not only can is it a coder, but it also comes with webinar CEUS (I think it was 12-15 a year, but I am not certain). There are currently 15 available at 1 CEU each. I believe my renewal will be at a bit over a hundred for a year.

Thank you. I appreciate your advice.

Congratulations!
Your employer should provide you with the tools you would need to do your day to day job. I have never had an employer that did not provide at the very least annual books. Even 1 denied claim is worth the cost of annual books. If I had to pay out of my own pocket for books, I would probably not buy EVERY year, but make sure I carefully reviewed the annual changes and note them in last year's book. Depending on your responsibilities, and number of employees doing specific responsibilities, your employer may or may not purchase books for each employee.
Most employers will also have a subscription to some type of online coding tool - Supercoder, SpeedECoder, AAPC Coder, EncoderPro, etc. Those online sites usually have tools to look up LCDs/NCDs, CCI edits, global days, etc. Generally, each offers different levels of subscriptions, with additional tools for the more expensive options.
If you get a job in a specialty, there are often books dedicated to common specialties that could be helpful. I work in gynecologic oncology (which is a very specialized subspecialty) and rarely find the general ob/gyn books to be much help, so I don't bother.
Thank you. I appreciate the information.