Wiki Most extensive procedure-mult polyps

SUEV

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Multiple colonoscopy codes can be billed when different techniques are used on multiple polyps. Let's say a provider finds 4 polyps. He fulgurates 2 of them. The other 2 he removes mostly with a snare but then has to fulgurate the rest of the polyp to destroy it entirely. Can I only code for 45383 since it was the most extensive procedure done on all 4 polyps or can I code 45383 for the first 2 and 45385-59 for the others? Thanks for any help!
Sue

This depends on the locations of the polyps. You can only bill polypectomies seperate if the are 1. in seperate locations and 2. if a different tool was used. So if there was a polyp in the ascending that was snared then fulgrated and then a polyp in the sigmoid that was only fulgrated you could bill:
45383 and 45385-59. Hope that helped!

Erica

Biosy and then Destructions?

Hi Erica,
If the provider fulgurates 4 polyps but biopsies 2 of them first with a different tool, you would bill 45383 and 45380-59 even though biopsies are included with definitive treatments? I just want to make sure I understand so that I'm capturing all possible charges while still following coding guidelines of course:)
Thanks for your help,
Sue

Hi Sue,

Yes if they were not in the same locations I would bill both procedure codes. When you say included in definitive treatments are you referring to future treatments or in the same procedure?

Erica