Wiki More 29826 confusion....

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I recently attended Margie Scalley-Vaught's webinar in December. She talked about our lovely changes to the way we code with 29826. I have hand written in the margins of my hand out "bill only with arthroscopy codes....cannot bill with open codes". Does everyone agree with this? It just seems wrong to me, somehow.

The surgical case I am working on right now is an open Mumford (23120) and an arthroscopic SAD, so naturally I want to bill 23120 and 29826-59, but now of course I am thinking I can only bill for the 23120. Am I correct?

Thanx!!!!! :D

Hi everyone,

I recently attended Margie Scalley-Vaught's webinar in December. She talked about our lovely changes to the way we code with 29826. I have hand written in the margins of my hand out "bill only with arthroscopy codes....cannot bill with open codes". Does everyone agree with this? It just seems wrong to me, somehow.

The surgical case I am working on right now is an open Mumford (23120) and an arthroscopic SAD, so naturally I want to bill 23120 and 29826-59, but now of course I am thinking I can only bill for the 23120. Am I correct?

Thanx!!!!! :D

Yes you are correct. But she also stated that if there is an Open procedure (i.e. 23412) along with 29824 you MAY be able to capture add-on code 29826 as it can be reported with 29824. It will be a carrier based decision.

29826 an 29823

Okay, I'd like to get in on this, too, but my concern is whether 29826 and 29823 can be billed together. I have another orthopaedic office getting denials on both of these codes being billed together.

Can one of you comment on this situation?

Thanks from Carol in Virginia:

Okay, I'd like to get in on this, too, but my concern is whether 29826 and 29823 can be billed together. I have another orthopaedic office getting denials on both of these codes being billed together.

Can one of you comment on this situation?

Thanks from Carol in Virginia:

what's the ins co? Do they follow CCI.

it really does not come down to CCI for this one it is CPT definition the 29826 is now an Add-on code and has CPT restrictions on which codes it can be appended to. If the code you are wanting is not listed and you are not performing one of the listed procedures then you cannot bill them together.