Wiki MOONLIGHTING RESIDENTS

crwinter

New
Best answers
I was wondering if you could help me with a billing question. We have a client who is a Dr. of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (neurorehabilitation) she supervises residents that have completed more than 6 months of the residency program. The residents would be (moonlighting) seeing patients in a skilled nursing facility, and we were told to bill as incident to, which does not apply for SNF. Are we able to bill for the moonlighting residents that see patients in a SNF?

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if you could help me with a billing question. We have a client who is a Dr. of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (neurorehabilitation) she supervises residents that have completed more than 6 months of the residency program. The residents would be (moonlighting) seeing patients in a skilled nursing facility, and we were told to bill as incident to, which does not apply for SNF. Are we able to bill for the moonlighting residents that see patients in a SNF?

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.
You are correct that you cannot bill services performed in a facility as 'incident to'.

When you say these residents are 'moonlighting', I take that to mean that they are doing this as a side job, not as part of their training program, and that they are being compensated for this work. If that's the case, then the entity who is paying them will be responsible for doing the credentialing and billing of their services (if that is allowed) and not your client physician. If your client is looking for compensation for the work of supervising these residents, they he or she will need to work out a payment arrangement with whomever is the employer of these residents. A physician can't bill the patients' insurance just for supervising them.