Wiki Monthly Retention Bonus?

I don't think you can assume that. In my experience, jobs 'suck' when the wrong person with a poor attitude is employed. As in all things in life...it is what you make of it.

Many organizations are considering retention bonuses during this time of transition into ICD-10 to keep coders from leaving. Hiring, training, mentoring, and processing new employees for ICD-10 and coding in general, is expensive and time consuming, and the cost of coder turnaround can double the organization's salary expense over a year's time. So it's cheaper to provide a retention bonus to avoid those costs and encourage longevity. It may have nothing to do with the job duties.

Thanks ladies for the question and answer! I am a newbie trying to get her first entry-level job and it is very hard with no experience in healthcare. Maybe I will have a better chance the closer we get to October 1st.

That's what I'm hoping for also. When I first started my CPC course I said to myself "What did I get myself into?" Then I took the ICD 10 course and oh my what a difference. I like ICD 10 so much more then the ICD 9. I understand it better and it's easier to come up with the exact code that you need. Now as long as the documentation is there I'm ready to play.