Wiki MOHS Surgery

doodiebuggy

Best answers
Very basic question, I have no derm experience. I am wondering, I know guidelines state 2.0 cm or larger for trunk and extremity lesions. Lesion of face, ear, finger, etc. can lesion be smaller than 2.0 cm and still qualify for MOHS Surgery?

Thanks.

There are no size guidelines for MOHS...only stage (layers of lesion) and tissue block (stained tissue sections) guidelines separated by anatomical area.

"17311 Mohs micrographic technique, including removal of all gross tumor, surgical excision of tissue specimens, mapping, color coding of specimens, microscopic examination of specimens by the surgeon, and histopathologic preparation including routine stain(s) (eg, hematoxylin and eosin, toluidine blue), head, neck, hands, feet, genitalia, or any location with surgery directly involving muscle, cartilage, bone, tendon, major nerves, or vessels; first stage, up to 5 tissue blocks

17312 each additional stage after the first stage, up to 5 tissue blocks (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)"

Does this help?

Size does not matter but diagnosis certainly does. All insurance carriers including Medicare only allow the Mohs procedure with certain diagnosis.