Wiki Modifiers -25 and -25

I'm guessing both would work. I'd put modifier 24 since it has the most effect. It may deny as global without even looking at the second modifier if 24 is not first.

Modifier 24 & 25

Modifiers 24 & 25 always go on the E/M. If documentation supported the 25 this would be primary then the 24 secondary.

Modifiers 24 & 25 always go on the E/M. If documentation supported the 25 this would be primary then the 24 secondary.
No, modifier 24 goes first. As someone else said, it has the most effect (on reimbursement) and immediately indicates to the payer that the E&M is in the global period.

There is no coding rule that dictates how modifiers should be sequenced - the modifiers are equally valid and mean the same thing regardless of which order they are in. Payers should take into account all modifiers billed, although as a practical matter some payers' claims processing systems may not recognize all modifier fields or their payment logic could be affected by the sequence. I've never seen any official guidelines or policies about this, but you may just find that one arrangement may work better than other for certain payers.

Last edited:
Our office bills with modifiers 24,25 (in that order) when the patient presents for an appointment for body part that's not in a global period and the physician does an injection. We use the 24 to "save" the office visit from a global as it's for a unrelated problem, and the 25 to "save" the office visit from an injection.

Last edited:
Our office bills with modifiers 24,25 (in that order) when the patient presents for an appointment for body part that's not in a global period and the physician does an injection. We use the 24 to "save" the office visit from a global as it's for a unrelated problem, and the 25 to "save" the office visit from an injection.

That is the best way. There's three ways a claim system could handle the scenario:

1) look at mod 1 first and mod 2 second
2) weight them equally
3) just ignore mod 2 all together.

Putting 24 then 25 will cover the first 2 options. If option 3 it will deny either way so mod order would be meaningless