Wiki Modifier for stopped shoulder surgery

Best answers
Good afternoon,

I have OP notes for a patient who had and arthroscopic decompression/acromioplasty and rotator cuff repair. The doctor was able to perform the decompression/acromioplasty and was able to place some of the anchors for the rotator cuff repair. However, while preparing to place the rest of the anchors, the patient developed arrhythmia and the remaining portion of the surgery was stopped. Two days later, the rotator cuff repair was completed.

For the first surgery, I was going to use 29827-53 and 29826. Is this correct? Also, I'm not sure if the second surgery would receive a modifier or not (29827-??).

Thanks.

Rotator cuff repair

If it was me, I would use the surgery code and modifier -52 for reduced services because, this surgery was not a complete process and then I would provide surgical notes to provide proof.

I hope this helps.

Good afternoon,

I have OP notes for a patient who had and arthroscopic decompression/acromioplasty and rotator cuff repair. The doctor was able to perform the decompression/acromioplasty and was able to place some of the anchors for the rotator cuff repair. However, while preparing to place the rest of the anchors, the patient developed arrhythmia and the remaining portion of the surgery was stopped. Two days later, the rotator cuff repair was completed.

For the first surgery, I was going to use 29827-53 and 29826. Is this correct? Also, I'm not sure if the second surgery would receive a modifier or not (29827-??).

Thanks.

I would use 53 modifier for this because Due to extenuating circumstances or those that threaten the well being of the patient, it may be necessary to indicate that a surgical or diagnostic procedure was started but discontinued.

Since this patient developed arrhythmia it seems like the reason doc stopped it is because the patients well being was threatened. So I would go with you and use 53 modifier.