Wiki Modifier 59 vs 78

lcole7465

Expert
Best answers
I code for anesthesia and my current employer puts a modifier 59 on return to OR the same day cases, related or unrelated. I had someone come question whether it should be the -59 or -78, as we put the -78 on the charge slip

The patient had a total thyroidectomy and then a few hours later went back to the OR for a hematoma in the neck. This should be a 78??? But the company guidelines states otherwise.

Please help???

I code for anesthesia and my current employer puts a modifier 59 on return to OR the same day cases, related or unrelated. I had someone come question whether it should be the -59 or -78, as we put the -78 on the charge slip

The patient had a total thyroidectomy and then a few hours later went back to the OR for a hematoma in the neck. This should be a 78??? But the company guidelines states otherwise.

Please help???
The 59 will make it appear that both procedures were performed in the same operative session and the second procedure will either be discounted or bundled. The 78 indicates a separate operative session and will be neither discounter nor bundled.