Wiki Modifier -51 vs -59 Assistance Please

sfickett5

Best answers
I teach students procedural coding and have created several resources to explain the different uses for these two modifiers. As they are beginner coders - first class ever - perhaps I am just not explaining the differences. (I acknowledge that even knowing when to use a modifier is a challenging concept as well!)

I thought perhaps there may be a different way to explain the differences, phrasing, examples, etc, that I just have been creative enough to develop.

Your input is appreciated, this is the first time I have turned to this resource at AAPC, so I am hoping it turns out to be helpful. Thanks in advance for any insights.

here is the explanation I give
the 51 modifier is for physician use only and is used on the second and subsequent procedures in the same session. The purpose is for discounting as multiple procedure in the same session are discounted.
the 59 modifier is used in bundling situations to indicate that the bundled procedure should be unbundled as it can be supported due to separate incision, separate body area, separate session. it will not bypass discounting it will only bypass bundling