Wiki Modifier 24 multiple times

LANGLEY

Contributor
Best answers
If a patient has surgery for a total hip replacement and then comes in during the post op for right shoulder pain, I understand that the 24 modifier can be used for the new problem, but if the patient continues to come in during the 90 day global for the shoulder pain, does a 24 continue to be billed? Or should it be billed only the first time the shoulder is examined?

If a patient has surgery for a total hip replacement and then comes in during the post op for right shoulder pain, I understand that the 24 modifier can be used for the new problem, but if the patient continues to come in during the 90 day global for the shoulder pain, does a 24 continue to be billed? Or should it be billed only the first time the shoulder is examined?

Mod 24 should continue to be used for the separate problem throughout the global period.

mod 24

The staff is questioning me because once the 24 is used for the shoulder pain and the patient comes in 4 more times for shoulder pain, they are telling me we should only use the modifier once.

You would keep using 24 on the shoulder E&M services that take place during the global period for the hip. Unless of course they have shoulder surgery which would start a global period for the soulder