Wiki Mod 59 question

KMfromLV

Contributor
Best answers
Does any one have a cheat sheet of which codes do NOT need a mod -59 assuming multiple admin at same encounter? I'm trying to create one for the new coders and thought if I don't have to re-invent the wheel....
For instance...96365 may need it, but 96366 would not need it since it's an add-on code....

The guidelines are pretty simply written to interpret when a modifier 59 is appropriate; anytime you have a different infusion session or different access sites a modifier 59 is appropriate.

For example you gave the CPT code 96366 has a ZZZ status indicator and most modifiers are not needed on add-on codes as they mimic what the parent code modifiers are applied. Understanding the NCCI rules and the global status indicators is a better approach to understanding when a modifier 59 is applied in a multiple procedure situation.
Medicare description of ZZZ: Code related to another service and is always included in the global period of the other service.

If you will email me privately I will send you the cheat sheet I use to train my oncology coders.

*** DO NOT LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ON THIS POSTING AS I WILL NOT MONITOR THIS POST***

Last edited: