Wiki Mitigation of harmful effects - inappropriate PHI disclosure

Browan1

New
Best answers
For context, I am studying for a CPMA certification and am reading through the CPMA Study Guide on the HIPAA Privacy Rule...

Does anyone know of an example of a harmful effect that must be mitigated when inappropriate use or disclosures of PHI occurs at the hand of a workforce member of a covered entity? and how is this issue mitigated?
I am thinking a harmful effect could be somebody 'emailed PHI' and the data leaked. the mitigation would be...the employee was terminated for breach of HIPAA?
Trying to apply real life situations to the regulations and rules under HIPAA but is hard translating into layman's terms for my own understanding. Any other input is appreciated!

Another (when people faxed things) is the same idea. Faxing something to the wrong number with PHI on it. (contact place it went to destroy)
Leaving paper records with PHI out in the open or throwing in the trash when they should be shredded or destroyed. (shred or destroy don't throw in regular trash)
Front desk monitor in full view of patients checking in with other patient info viewable. (screen cover or lock screen required)

HHS has case examples: