Wiki Midwives

karey

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone know anything about how to bill for midwives? I know its not as complicated as I am making it I'm sure.

1. If the patient is seen by the Physician then decides to see the midwife, do I bill these separate?

2. If the patient transfers in and we deliver I can use the Antepartum, delivery, post-partum global code correct?

Each payer has their own set of rules regarding midwifery billing. Some credential them and recognize them, but others do not recognize them at all. Rarely, do I bill midwives on their own. We are fortunate to have a physician in the suite, therefore, all their billing is 'incident to'. Deliveries are billed as the payer instructs. If all your providers share the same tax id, usually the global period isn't separated.

Patients transferring in will need to have their visits counted and billed appropriately. Sometimes an insurance carrier will have definite guidelines. Otherwise, you would bill according to CPT guidelines. We have found it challenging to get payers to respond with guidelines, but when we are insistent, we can get the information.
Teresa Keith, CPC
North Georgia Women's Center
Dalton, GA