Wiki Mid Levels

jcox

Best answers
We are considering a mid level to assist in surgery. I have contacted several of our insurance carriers to see if mid levels are reimbursed as a surgery assist, but feel I am not getting a definitive answer. Could someone who is using mid levels as an assistant surgeon let me know if reimbursement is a problem with insurance carriers?

Thanks for any information.

We are considering a mid level to assist in surgery. I have contacted several of our insurance carriers to see if mid levels are reimbursed as a surgery assist, but feel I am not getting a definitive answer. Could someone who is using mid levels as an assistant surgeon let me know if reimbursement is a problem with insurance carriers?

Thanks for any information.

We use mostly PA's, and occasionally an NP, for asst surgeons. We do not have major problems getting reimbursed, as long as the codes being billed allow for an asst surgeon. You can find that info in the CMS RVU file. You'll just need to check with your payers, if you haven't already, to see if they will credential the mid-levels to file the claims under their own names, or if they will need to be filed under the physician.

HTH!