Wiki microfracturing

donnaber

Best answers
Hi:
I have a patient who had resection of torn portion of medial and lateral menisci. Physician states that he also did debridement and abrasion arthroplasty and microfracturing of cartilage loss involving 3 compartments, same knee and performed chondroplasty in the remaining portions of the medial, lateral and patellofemoral compartments.

I know that I cannot code for the chondroplasty but can I add code 29879 for the microfracturing? And is that in fact the correct code for microfracturing?

All inclusive in 29879

29879 - Arthroscopy, knee, surgical; abrasion arthroplasty or multiple drilling or microfracture

29879 - Description:
The physician makes 1 cm long portal incisions on either side of the patellar tendon for arthroscopic access into the knee joint. Lesions of the articular cartilage are identified by the arthroscope and the use of a probe. Additional portal incisions may be made to provide better access to the lesions. Debridement of the unstable or fragmented cartilage is accomplished with a motorized suction cutter. The cartilage is smoothed down to the layer of subchondral bone which promotes bleeding and regeneration of cartilage. Any loose bodies are removed. The physician may also drill holes into the subchondral bone or create tiny fractures (microfractures) to further promote cartilage regeneration. The joint is flushed. A temporary drain may be applied. Incisions are closed with sutures and Steri-strips.