Wiki Meniscus debridment vs meniscetomy

pfwilliams39

Contributor
Best answers
When I read the op report and it states"The medial compartment had a complex tear in the posterior horn. There was a large flap subluxing anteriorly and this was debrided with basket punches, 3.5 shaver, and 2.0 tissue ablator to about the midportion of the meniscus." I code this as a debridement 29877 ( the beginning states a portal was established). Unless the op report states meniscus removal or meniscectomy, I don't code it as 29881.

Please advise if this is accurate.

When I read the op report and it states"The medial compartment had a complex tear in the posterior horn. There was a large flap subluxing anteriorly and this was debrided with basket punches, 3.5 shaver, and 2.0 tissue ablator to about the midportion of the meniscus." I code this as a debridement 29877 ( the beginning states a portal was established). Unless the op report states meniscus removal or meniscectomy, I don't code it as 29881.

Please advise if this is accurate.

It should be coded as 29881 as this better describes what was performed. Also you may want to check what the 'intent' of the procedure was as well.