Wiki Medication Education

KimHolla

Best answers
I am coding in an inpatient psychiatric hospital and a doctor met with the pt. to discuss medication, necessary work-up prior to using medication, side effects, necessary labs, etc. Informing the pt of a specific medication in general. What ICD9 and CPT code do I use?

I am coding in an inpatient psychiatric hospital and a doctor met with the pt. to discuss medication, necessary work-up prior to using medication, side effects, necessary labs, etc. Informing the pt of a specific medication in general. What ICD9 and CPT code do I use?

You would use the ICD-9 diagnosis for the reason for the visit or reason for medication. for your CPT Code if dr did an e & m code that the records support the level you need to bill (look at the E & M in the inpatient hospital.) We can't not give you the exact codes without seeing the records. You doctor may be able to help you and point you in the correct direction.

Thank you but the medication is for the pt.'s mental illness and is prescribed by the psychiatrist. The medical doctor was having this discussion with the pt. and I was told that the medical doctors can not diagnosis mental illness (Schizophrenia). An E/M code will not work becase there was no history, exam or medical decision making. I was trying to capture for the doctors time but there wasn't an amount of time noted.