Wiki Medicare won't restore EOB file

LuluBarr

Best answers
Our office really got jerked around by medicare. They had us fill out an EFT authorization agreement and they took almost four months to process it...which in that time frame they did not pay us at all. They finally sent us a checks, the first being for a couple weeks worth of services, you can imagine the EOB would be extensive. We had even MORE issues with medicare and we could not download the EOB files that would allow us to automatically post the funds. We finally fixed the problem and can now download those files BUT now medicare is saying they cannot restore files more than 20 days old, and we have to request paper EOBs. Can you imagine an EOB for a couple weeks worth of services? Posting that by hand??? This is a small office and I am the only biller, it would take me weeks or months!!

My question is can anyone think of a way to get around this and receive an electronic EOB from them? Can we do a stop pay reissue on these checks to get a new EOB?

PLEASE HELP!!

Have you looked on your clearinghouse's website. I know with Emdeon I am able to login to there website and I can download a copy of the eob or save a file and then load it into our EMR. I have never tryed a stop and reissue with Medicare. We have had our payments EFT for a very long time now. I did have to do that with Railroad Medicare but it was because they sent the check to the wrong address.

I don't completely understand what a clearinghouse is but I don't think we use one. We submit and receive everything directly to and from insurance electronically (forgive me I am a relatively new biller). We have spoken with our software technician but they were unable to locate the files.

Also the only reason we are receiving paper checks i guess is because we are in a trial period post- EFT authorization or something. Im extremely frustrated, nearly four months of services in 12 checks that I now must post by hand!

Is it possible for medicare to create a NEW eob so that the file would be new and receivable?

I have been calling Medicare customer service and EDI but they keep giving me their cookie cutter answers and not really trying to help me resolve the problem :(

A clearinghouse is where your claims get sent after you have created your file to send. They get uploaded to the clearing house and they scrub the claims for errors and then transmit them over to the insurance company. The insurance company then sends the files back to them and they are loaded into our billing software for posting. I am not sure if it is possible for Medicare to create a new eob. If you have called them and asked them to see about having it sent again as an ERA and they won't then it might not work. You might be able to call and tell them you never received that particular Remit and see if they can have it sent again but electronically.

Medicare EOB File

I would check with your software support people. The original 835 (EOB) file should be sent to the software (either through a clearinghouse or directly) and should be able to be tracked or restored if Medicare won't resend it.

Hope it all works out and that you don't have to post it manually. :)

Michele