Wiki Medicare Supplemental plan payments

cmsulliv

New
Best answers
New provider here trying to navigate the billing world. As someone who ONLY takes original Medicare (no commercial plans), do I still get reimbursed from Medigap plans for the extra 20% of allowable fee schedule even though I am not enrolled with them? If so, how long do companies typically take to remit payment?

Medigap plans should reimburse for whatever type of coverage the patient has, regardless if you are contracted with them. In fact, most Medigap do not use a network at all, since they are processing after Medicare.
Please note some patients have a secondary coverage that is not Medigap (like a retiree plan) and those may differ.
Also note that not all Medigap plans cover the full 20% patient co-insurance that Medicare applies. Some may have a copay, or an additional deductible.
From my experience, most Medigap plans will auto crossover from Medicare and payment is usually in less than 30 days.
Hope that helps and I would STRONGLY encourage you to find appropriate staff to handle this for you rather than spend provider time on billing.