Wiki Medicare enrollment and our NP (Help!!)

jhendrix08

Best answers
We are an internal medicine practice with one physician and one Nurse Practitioner. We do ALL of our billing under our GROUP NPI; with our Dr. being listed as the billing provider. (Our NP is listed only as the "service provider" when he sees a patient). For Medicare, I was told that we need to fill out an 855-r (reassignment of benefits) form for our NP to have him associated with our practice's Medicare enrollment. I think because we don't bill under the NP, this is throwing me off. He also works for another practice part time so I want to be sure this doesn't effect his other employer's billing.

I would SO appreciate insight and feedback as I am a new biller. Thanks!!:eek:

Based on what you wrote, you do NOT need to enroll your NP if the MD is going to remain the billing provider

Even though NP's get paid at 85%, you may want to consider billing the NP directly (assuming your facility wants to and your state allows it). You can still list the group NPI with your MAC with no issues

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my question. I've been so confused by this and unfortunately, I got different answers depending on who I spoke with at Medicare! This has been my thought all along but I started questioning myself....thank you for confirming it for me!