Wiki Medicare billing

sgruly

Best answers
Can I have a provider out of network with Medicare register with Medicare and get reimbursed as out of network.

Medicare does not have 'networks' - I'm not sure what you're asking. If a provider is seeing Medicare patients, then the provider must enroll with Medicare unless they choose to 'opt out' and make a contract with the patients. Once enrolled, the provider can choose to accept assignment or not, but there is no 'network' or 'out-of-network' reimbursement for Medicare.

I have a Dr that is telling me he wants to register with Medicare but remain out of network and as long as he is registered he will get paid a lower rate by Medicare and we can balance bill the pt. I can't seem to get him to understand that it doesn't work like that but He is so persistent that this is how it works that I wanted to ask someone else's opinion.

It's sounds like a terminology issue. I think what he is telling you is that he wants 'enroll' with Medicare, but choose not to 'participate', in other words, not sign the participation agreement. As I understand it, by not signing the participation agreement, the rate paid will be 5% lower than the standard Medicare fee schedule. But non-participating providers have the option to not accept assignment. They cannot balance bill the patient, but it does allow the provider to collect up to the Medicare limiting charge (15% above the non-participating provider rate) from the patient, and then Medicare will issue their payment directly to the patient.

Providers can do this, but in my experience, it is a big administrative headache and also something that patients really do not like, so often not worth little bit of extra money that it can bring in. It equates to being able to charge 9.25% more than the standard participating fee schedule, but then you have to estimate and calculate the amount the patient owes and collect it in advance, so it can frequently result in credit balances that have to be refunded. In addition, patients' secondary insurance payers often do not understand how to coordinate their benefits correctly for this situation, which can also result in overpayment, or payment made to the provider instead of the patients, which then also have to be refunded.

Last edited:
Does this apply toward DME when out of network. I do know with DME Medicare has contract with only few companies.

Last edited: