Wiki Medical records from Joplin found 75 miles away

glassa

New
Best answers
So I'm just curious about this. How does this affect the (now closed) hospital in Joplin. I realize this is probably something very minor in the context of things. But I really wonder, HIPAA-wise, how the fact that medical records & private info was found 75 miles away, affects the hospital? Surely they wouldn't be penalized!

Does anyone have any idea how this works?

BTW, for those of you not in Missouri, you wouldn't believe how the state is coming together to help the people in Joplin. It's very heartwarming. So many donations coming in that storage facilities have even been donated to store it all until they use up what they have.

I live not far from Joplin but I know the hospital has requested anyone finding records to contact a number and they will tell them where to take them. In addition they have requested that those finding them refrain from reading them and to not pass on any information they happen to run across. Since this was an act of nature there is no way to hold the facility liable and we will depend on the good nature of the people to return what is not theirs. What happened in Joplin is very sad and you cannot imagine the level of destruction.

I agree an act of God would hold them harmless I hope that the Hospital is also informing previous patients to also be responsible and watch their personal information for awhile to make sure they are not a victim of identity theft. I don't live in Joplin but I was hit by one of the tornato's on New Years Eve and it is devistatingly quick. I was still running down the stairs as it was hitting my house. My heart goes out to all of those affected by these devistating storms. :)