Wiki medical record request

lmn

Contributor
Best answers
We are receiving so many requests for medical records pertaining to risk adjustment and hedis reviews. Does anyone know if we can charge for the charts? And if so, where did you find this information. I have researched extensively and am unable to locate any information regarding this.

Thank you

We are receiving so many requests for medical records pertaining to risk adjustment and hedis reviews. Does anyone know if we can charge for the charts? And if so, where did you find this information. I have researched extensively and am unable to locate any information regarding this.

Thank you

Check your contract with each payer; it may be covered there. All the ones that we are contracted with--it is written into our contract that we have to allow them access to the records. Some do allow a per-chart fee. Our policy is that if it is more than a few charts, they are required to come onsite, print the records needed, and scan into their system, then everything they print out is shredded. The ones that don't pay per chart, we require them to supply their own paper.

HTH!

Thank you

In Texas --- according to -- Texas Administrative Code
TITLE 22 EXAMINING BOARDS
PART 9 TEXAS MEDICAL BOARD
CHAPTER 165 MEDICAL RECORDS
RULE ?165.2 Medical Record Release and Charges

an excerpt -- (e) Allowable Charges.
(1) Paper Format.
(A) The physician responding to a request for such information in paper format shall be entitled to receive a reasonable, cost-based fee for providing the requested information.
(B) A reasonable fee for providing the requested records in paper format shall be a charge of no more than $25 for the first twenty pages and $.50 per page for every copy thereafter.
(2) Electronic Format.
(A) The physician responding to a request for such information to be provided in electronic format shall be entitled to receive a reasonable, cost-based fee for providing the requested information in electronic format.
(B) A reasonable fee for providing the requested records in electronic format shall be a charge of no more than: $25 for 500 pages or less; $50 for more than 500 pages.
(3) Hybrid Records Format.
(A) The physician responding to a request for such information that is contained partially in electronic format and partially in paper format ("hybrid"), may provide the requested information in a hybrid format and shall be entitled to receive a reasonable, cost based fee for providing the requested information.
(B) A reasonable fee for providing the requested records in a hybrid format may be a combination of the fees as set forth in paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection.
(4) Other Charges.
(A) If an affidavit is requested, certifying that the information is a true and correct copy of the records, whether in paper, electronic or hybrid format, a reasonable fee of up to $15 may be charged for executing the affidavit.....
http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=22&pt=9&ch=165&rl=2

-------check with your state's administrative codes for allowable charges. I worked for an insurance company and they usually don't tell you upfront that sites could charge for medical records. I have seen checks written for thousands of dollars for medical records. I now work for a medical group as a coder... there are more record requests than ever. It's very time consuming and costly!

Last edited: