Wiki Medical coder

bcousino

Best answers
I have a physician who wants to bill 20610 x2 on the same joint. Documentation states "subacromial shoulder injection with the first part, and then an intra-articular shoulder injection with the second part.

I have asked another orthopedic coder and was told that this code can be billed out twice on the same joint if two needles are used.

If I can not bill for an arthrocyntisis and joint injection on the same joint I don't believe that I can bill for two 20610 in this instance.

Thoughts?
Betty C

I have a physician who wants to bill 20610 x2 on the same joint. Documentation states "subacromial shoulder injection with the first part, and then an intra-articular shoulder injection with the second part.

I have asked another orthopedic coder and was told that this code can be billed out twice on the same joint if two needles are used.

If I can not bill for an arthrocyntisis and joint injection on the same joint I don't believe that I can bill for two 20610 in this instance.

Thoughts?
Betty C

My question would be what was the medical neccessity of 2 needles into same joint?

20610 can only be billed once per joint. I’ve seen where we’ve done a J3301 (Kenalog) and J7323 (Euflexxa) in the same knee joint, but we are only allowed to bill 20610 once even though two needles are used.

The only way you could bill for multiple injections would be if they were trigger point injections (20550 – 20553), but per the office note, none of the listed injections are trigger point injections.