Wiki Medical Coder Job Annoyances while abstracting

TThivierge

True Blue
Best answers
Hi Everyone

If you working as a professional medical coder now. I am just wondering what are your on the job annoyances or pet peeves? Do not get me wrong I LOVE this career as medical coder. It is so very interesting and at times challenging career. However my reason for asking is to create better communication tool for all involved and code better with clearer documentation . Here are a few of mine....

1. Not specifying in the medical record the side of body the injury is on, or date it happened or if a female patient is pregnant. Of course I would like would like the trimester of this fact.

2. Better communication regarding the insurance payer 's billing and coding regs before the time I am actually coding that record. And I would like Quality Assurance department's impact on how the record should be documented before we start coding for the treatments. usually the QA department get the doctor straight on the record format for certain programs or treatments. Also having a coding protocol per medical specialties and
understanding the basic coding regulations during new job orientation.

3. Understanding doppelgangers terms and medical abbreviations when abstracting records during coding.
4. Physicians who do not finish their records in a timely manner or still in draft saved mode but not signed.

Well that is just a few of mine.

I agree on the timeliness matter, had to practically tie one provider to his chair to get some charts done. When I first started at my current position more than a few providers got a shock when they saw how many records I kicked back for missing information or internal inconsistency. They're improving on internal consistency, now they need to improve in other areas.