Wiki Medical Billing Services Question

ljones88

Networker
Best answers
Hi all,
I'm interested in starting my own medical billing services company. I have extensive experience in Professional coding, billing, insurance/patient overpayments and underpayment projects, A/R, patient collections, and contracting.

I've done some research online and have a few general questions if anyone would like to provide input or feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

The dominant payment methodology seems to be a percentage based off of what the insurance pays on the claim. In my experience, a FESS can cost $10,100+ after contractual adjustments are taken into consideration. Assuming the entire allowed amount has been applied to the patient's deductible, how would a billing service collect their percentage on the claim?

Also, this may be a stupid question, however I never billed a claim without reading the physician's note so do medical billing services have access to EHR?

Lastly, I currently work for a large group ENT practice. Just one of our offices, with one physician can generate $420,000+ in insurance payments alone. From what I'm seeing online medical billing services collect anywhere between 6-10%. Assuming the agreed upon rate is 7.5% that would equate to about $31,500 in billing fees. Does this sound normal at least for specialty practices?

Thank you so much!

The deductible question first. I believe you make your money on a monthly collection amount. For example clinic brings in 100,000. You make 7% of collections not billed amounts.
If it gets applied to their deductible you would have to wait until the month they paid it to get your percentage.

This is the tricky part. Some specialties have high dollar items that are really simple to code/bill. For example some neurologist procedures are super easy and get reimbursed really well. In this case you wouldn't want to charge your doctor 7%-8%, more like 3%.

Best bet is to search billing percentages by specialty because all specialties are not equal.