Wiki Mediastinal re-exploration coding

dvance4210

Networker
Best answers
Can any one help guide me on a re-exploration of the chest , s/p CABG, for a mediastinal bleed or tamponade. I was told at one time to use 35820-78 but in a recent discussion with some other offices they use 39010-78 only. "Significant amount of blood clots were found in the pericardial space as well as both pleural spaces, a significant amount of irrigation was utilized to remove the clots." No vessel needed repaired. Any ideas??

Can any one help guide me on a re-exploration of the chest , s/p CABG, for a mediastinal bleed or tamponade. I was told at one time to use 35820-78 but in a recent discussion with some other offices they use 39010-78 only. "Significant amount of blood clots were found in the pericardial space as well as both pleural spaces, a significant amount of irrigation was utilized to remove the clots." No vessel needed repaired. Any ideas??

I wouldn't use 39010. I would use 35820 -78 because it is specifically states Exploration for postoperative hemorrhage, thrombosis or infection; chest. 39010 is for the Mediastinum. Just my thoughts.