Wiki MDM for E/M Coding Tips Needed!

aamedee92

New
Best answers
I'm working with the Interactive Score card on Novitas Solutions and just want to make sure I'm understanding the MDM section correctly.
Under MDM for the Amount and/or Complexity of Data Reviewed where it says "Review and/or order of tests in the medicine section of CPT (1 point)", does this refer to an injection given or a RX ordered?

Anyone have any examples or tips to make sure I get all the points correctly?

Thank you!

Looking at Novitas' interactive score sheet, I can see the ambiguity.
Let's look at what CMS guidelines state:

"The review of laboratory, radiology, and/or other diagnostic tests. A simple notation such as “WBC elevated” or “Chest x-ray unremarkable” is acceptable. Alternatively, document the review by initialing and dating the report that contains the test results."

I think the data collected or ordered for the section you are mentioning, would come from medical/other diagnostic tests. These tests would not fall under the umbrella of labs or radiology, but other tests can be performed still. Here are some of our examples:
  • EKGs
  • Cardiac cath
  • Echocardigram
  • Non-invasive vascular studies
  • Pulmonary function studies
  • etc.

If the prescriptions are pertinent to the treated problem(s), then they can be counted towards the Overall Risk (Management Options - Moderate). If appropriate and medically necessary, then injections can also be billed out.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: