Wiki MDM as 1 of the 2 key components

pygreen

Best answers
Does anyone have any specific documentation from either Cahaba or CMS stating that MDM must count as 1 of the 2 key components when auditing an established patient E/M? Please provide the link if you have anything so I can show it to our providers.

Thanks.

Thanks Lance. I saw this, and I was also uncertain which questions they were answering "No". I interpreted it to mean, no they could not bill 99215 when the MDM was 99214 since medical necessity would not be met.

There is no such documentation that I am aware of. However, it is our policy to require our physicians to focus on the medical decision making when deciding the level of coding because that piece is really a solid documentation of the level. Payors are requesting documentation on our higher level E&Ms and making an argument that a complete ROS or comprehensive exams are not medically necessary for certain diagnoses. They cannot make that argument with the MDM.

Hope that helps.

Holly Giffin, CPC
Physician Coding Auditor

Peggy, I see where you are coming from and that would be correct if the "no" answer is to the first question - but if it is for number 2, then that just says what we all know and it is medical necessity.

I like Holly's approach to this question. While not making it a policy or referring to a hard-and-fast rule, she emphasizes the best way to show the medical necessity of the services, which is what all payors are looking for. I am little less hard-core in my talks with the doctors, but I generally say the same thing - check your MDM as that will be the best way to justify medical necessity for the service.

Thanks Lance. I saw this, and I was also uncertain which questions they were answering "No". I interpreted it to mean, no they could not bill 99215 when the MDM was 99214 since medical necessity would not be met.