Wiki Mammo Code Question

Best answers
A patient's order states Z12.39- screening for breast cancer
This is no the correct screening code for a mammo. Do you query the physician and ask for a corrected DX; or do you code off the description( screening for breast cancer)? I feel like this would be a discrepancy between the code listed and the wording. Could someone please advise.

Thanks!

If a screening was performed, and the documentation supports screening, then I would change it to the appropriate screening code. :)

A patient's order states Z12.39- screening for breast cancer
This is no the correct screening code for a mammo. Do you query the physician and ask for a corrected DX; or do you code off the description( screening for breast cancer)? I feel like this would be a discrepancy between the code listed and the wording. Could someone please advise.

Thanks!

You should always code from the narrative, so even though they selected the incorrect code you should select the correct code from the narrative provided. Remember way too many providers/coders/billers etc work from cheat sheets for coding and only use unspecified or other specified codes to make a cheat sheet brief and easy to use.