Wiki M/Care consults when TMHP or Comm 2nd

ddailey

Best answers
I would like to hear how other organizations are handling the new rule on Medicare consults when:

Commercial Payer and/or Medicaid is secondary - they still accept the consult codes and should they receive more than one initial admission on the same DOS they are going to deny it.

When the 835 files I am not sure if there is a process to stop these to change the code or if that is even appropriate.

:confused:

Based on the two options Medicare presented when a secondary carrier accepts the consult code and Medicare does not... I opted for billing the accepted Medicare code. I found it more cost effective to bill the code Medicare accepts and let it go thru to the 2nd carrier.
More and more insurance companies will not accept a handwritten change/correction on a claim so there is so much extra time and cost invested. In other instances, certain claims crossover from Medicare automatically and then you are dealing with that correction.
What I am recommending to doctors is to be more specific about their time with a patient so that they can bill ethically. For example, smoking cessation counseling, 50% of E/M visit counseling, prolonged service, overlooked procedures. Often, they lump everything into a consult when there is so much more. Fortunately, access to EMR documentation helps ensure coding is accurate.
I am finding out through trial and error, as well as reading every carrier newlsetter that crosses my desk, that payers are slowly beginning to follow Medicare's guidelines. So be careful.

We are billing the accepted Medicare codes to the secondary also. So far we haven't had a problem - but give it time with inpatient (office doesn't worry me much, but IP with the multiple initial visits sure does)