Wiki Lysis of adhesions in multiple compartments

Tanya.DeSimone

Contributor
Best answers
My doctor performed an arthroscopic lysis of adhesions in all three compartments of the knee along with a manipulation of the knee joint.

I know that the manipulation of the knee is include in the lysis of adhesions, but can I code the 29884 multiple times for each compartment?

I haven't been able to find a reference anywhere.

Thanks to all!

That's a good question. I tried to do some research for you and came up short as well, but I'll give you my opinion, for what it's worth..lol:).
I am inclined to think that since no other procedures were done, first of all, and that the lysis was done in three different compartments, that you would be able to code each separately, with the correct modifier(s). I'm also thinking that it might depend of the carrier. Some carriers may see it as since they were in the knee already, they won't recognize all three compartments as different procedures. Sorry I can't be more help. I'm sure someone will be able to help in this forum. There are some great ortho coders in here!!

you are allowed 1 cpt code per compartment so i would be inclined to code each procedure and append a 59 modier on two of them...i code for a facility