Wiki Lumbar puncture diagnostic vs therapeutic

santhiya.p

Networker
Best answers
HI Friends, Could anyone tell how to differentiate the document for lumbar puncture diagnostic vs therapeutic. Its really confusing. I tried a lot but couldn't find any other source?

Do you have an op note that's confusing you? If so, you can use the snipping tool to post it. We can dissect it together. Generally, you know the difference based on the diagnosis.

If the patient has symptoms that the providers are looking for the cause, that would be diagnostic.

If the patient has a definitive diagnosis prior to the procedure, such as meningitis, a therapeutic lumbar puncture is generally performed to relieve symptoms.

Hello

I'm still confused with 62328 vs 62329. Here is a note. I think it should be 62328, Thoughts?

FLUORO/MISC < 1HR PHYS TIME

CLINICAL HISTORY: MS

The procedure was explained to the patient and complications and risks were discussed and written informed consent was obtained. The patient was placed in a prone position on the fluoroscopy table and the lower back was draped and prepped using usual aseptic technique.

Utilizing fluoroscopic guidance, the L2-3 interspace was identified and skin over this was anesthetized with subcutaneous infiltration of lidocaine. Utilizing fluoroscopic guidance and a 22-gauge Whitacre needle, the thecal sac was entered via a left paraspinal oblique approach. The opening pressure was approximately 11 centimeters of water. Approximately 14 cc of clear CSF were collected and sent for testing. The needle was removed and the puncture site was held until hemostasis was achieved. The patient tolerated the procedure well without complication.

FLUOROSCOPY: Time - 0.0 minutes | Number of Images - 1 | Dose - 0.34 mGy

IMPRESSION:
Successful fluoroscopic-guided lumbar puncture with collection of approximately 14 cc of clear CSF. Opening pressure was 11 cm of water.

Hello

I'm still confused with 62328 vs 62329. Here is a note. I think it should be 62328, Thoughts?

FLUORO/MISC < 1HR PHYS TIME

CLINICAL HISTORY: MS

The procedure was explained to the patient and complications and risks were discussed and written informed consent was obtained. The patient was placed in a prone position on the fluoroscopy table and the lower back was draped and prepped using usual aseptic technique.

Utilizing fluoroscopic guidance, the L2-3 interspace was identified and skin over this was anesthetized with subcutaneous infiltration of lidocaine. Utilizing fluoroscopic guidance and a 22-gauge Whitacre needle, the thecal sac was entered via a left paraspinal oblique approach. The opening pressure was approximately 11 centimeters of water. Approximately 14 cc of clear CSF were collected and sent for testing. The needle was removed and the puncture site was held until hemostasis was achieved. The patient tolerated the procedure well without complication.

FLUOROSCOPY: Time - 0.0 minutes | Number of Images - 1 | Dose - 0.34 mGy

IMPRESSION:
Successful fluoroscopic-guided lumbar puncture with collection of approximately 14 cc of clear CSF. Opening pressure was 11 cm of water.
This needs to be coded as Diagnostic 62328. For coding therapeutic, Opening and closing pressure must be documented, CSF fluid amount should be more than 20cc. And the fluid must be removed for treating purpose not for diagnostic.

Hope this helps :)