Wiki Lucky break and terrified

Andyleed90

Contributor
Best answers
Hello all,
I recently graduated from CareerStep for Medical Coding and Billing. I got a 98% average and 86% on the final.

I got VERY lucky and by word of mouth, got a coding job at our local hospital. Keep in mind, I do NOT have my CPC yet. Or any hands on experience. Just the case studies from the course I took. My new boss is so nice and hired people with zero experience because there is another girl who has been there for almost a year and just got her CPC. But im so scared. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on coding but I always feel like I'm learning something new everyday. Im so scared i will fail. My confidence level is not very high to begin with. Any tips or advice? I'll be doing mostly DM, E/M and some PCS. i have one year to get my cpc. Any advice is much appreciated!

Keep Positive!

First- Congratulations on your new position and career! 
Your manager saw potential in you, so have faith in yourself!
Don’t be afraid to ask for guidance and help. Be your own advocate and show initiative.
Continue to build upon your coding knowledge by reading the AAPC magazines and going to your local AAPC meetings.
Ask your manager/employer if they will cover the cost for AAPC webinars or if they have/provide other learning resources.
Develop a good working relationship with your coworker(s) who hopefully will be good mentor(s).

Wishing you much happiness and success today and in the New Year 2018!