Wiki Looking to get back into the workforce - Hawaii

ShayHara

Best answers
Medical Biller seeking employment - Hawaii

Hello All,
I?m sorry this is my first time posting a thread so I?m not sure what exactly to add. I am looking to get back into the workforce after almost five years of being a primary care giver to my husband?s ill uncle and starting our family. I'm looking forward to any tips or suggestions regarding my resume. Since I live on an island where positions tend to be hard to come by, I thought what better place to start than here. Thank you all in advance!

Objective: Medical Billing

Highlights/Summary of Key Points

? College graduate, Medical Billing and Coding, The Allen School Online
? Certified in Injections & Therapy, Electrocardiogram, Phlebotomy, Paralegal, and Customer Service
? Neighbor Island Office Manager; Payroll, accounts payable, claim explanations, training all new hires
? Assistant bookkeeper; accounts payable and receivable, collections
? Independently worked from home on HMSA's Online Care Program

Personality Characteristics
? Responsible, collaborative, accurate, organized, and empathetic
? Likes looking at information in terms of facts and details
? Works hard and efficiently to complete tasks
? Builds team spirit through maintaining good relationships with each team member, being accepting of their contributions, and promoting harmony and co-operation
? Strives to ensure that people are happy with the service provided

Education

2010 Medical Billing & Coding Certificate (GPA 3.98)
? Knowledge of medical business office procedures and billing/collection practices; Utilization of Medisoft, CPT, and ICD-9-CM coding books to code medical services utilizing ICD-9-CM, HCPCS and CPT coding system; Audit/research coding discrepancies for compliance, reimbursement and accuracy; Insurance Pre-authorization/Pre-certification; Knowledge of third party operating procedures and practices; Prepare information for collection agency; Process outbound 837 electronic bill submissions; Knowledge of AHIMA Code of Ethics and/or AHIMA?s Code of Ethical Coding.

2008 Medicare Programs Training Module, HMSA's Government Affairs Department, Hilo, Hawaii

Experience

03/06 ? 12/09 HMSA Hilo, HI
08/09 - 12/09 Work From Home Customer Service Representative
10/07 - 07/09 Neighbor Island Office Manager
03/06 - 09/07 Customer Service Representative III

? Worked from home third shift answering calls statewide from members, providers, and consumers. I would primary work from my home in a private office. I had minimal to no supervision while completing this position.
? Would assist with creating accounts, unlocking accounts, credit card information and refund request. Basically any questions on the online care program I would assist with.
? Attended public functions to assist with promoting and signing up members for the online care program. I also appeared on our local television station informing the public about the program and how it works.
? Was the manager for the second largest call center for the company on a neighbor island. I was in charge of 15 staff members as well as maintaining regular office duties. I was responsible for seeing the completion of the office and opening the doors within a month's time. I had to work with many contractors and vendors, creating accounts to fulfill our office needs.
? Submitted monthly bills, submitted and tracked payroll, handled HR issues due to our remote locations. I also was required to create and maintain employee jackets for their personal information, their annual reviews and salary information.
? Was able to meet and exceed set department goals, unit goals and individual goals for my staff as well as myself. I assisted in the three month training program for my staff which was quite extensive. I was also responsible for meeting with them monthly to assess their current goals and career path.
? Aided as technical support to the unit and the staff if and when phone or computer problems would occur. This would also include when we would upgrade or add additional software, and hardware.

08/04 - 02/06 OPT Tech & Administrative Assistant, Dr. Glenn Kunimura O.D., Hilo, HI

? Worked directly with the patients and doctor. I prepared the patient's records and would perform and record all the pre-exam testing. After the completion of all the testing I would set them up in the exam room and assist the doctor with scribing for him while he performed his portion.
? Would answer high call volume phone systems, schedule appointments, and complete any regular office duties. This also included some computer work, filing insurance claims, and collecting co-payments.
? Would write out patient prescriptions, and follow up letters to patient's primary care providers regarding their visit with us.

07/04 - 02/04 Hemo Tech II, St Francis Medical Center, Hilo, HI

? Would prepare and administer Hemo dialysis for four to six patients at one time for our only dialysis unit in Hilo.
? Would take their temperature, clean their graft site, and administer the two required needles then finish by connecting them to the machine.
? Would monitor all the patients every 30 minutes until their treatment was completed. I would disconnect the patient and secure them for their departure home.

04/02 - 06/03 Assistant Kitchen Manager, J Hara Store, Kurtistown, HI

? Performed cost analysis for our kitchen and deli departments.
? Controlled inventory as well as all the purchases while staying within our budget.

01/04 - 02/07 Assistant Bookkeeper [Volunteer], J Hara Store, Kurtistown, HI

? Assisted the head office clerk with accounts payable & receivable, organizing paper work and files.
? Answer a high call volume phone system, take messages, makes copies, and assist with phone orders.
? Would use Quick Books to enter inventory and invoices due to our large pool of customer?s state wide.

Last edited: