Wiki Looking for feedback on COSC exam

nrichard

Best answers
I've been a CPC since 2005. I've worked mainly in Orthopedics and I'm preparing to take the COSC. I'm trying to get some feedback from anyone who's taken this. I only had to take my CPC once to pass. I've done trauma, spine and hand specialties.
I ordered the study guide last year and didn't find a lot of helpful information. I'm wondering if this exam follows more closely to CMS guidelines, or AAOS guidelines. Also I'm working on the online practice exam, and it looks like it's more focused on E&M coding. Did others find this to be true as well?
I'm wondering how many passed on the first attempt. If you've passed this exam, could you please tell me your background, and what you found to be helpful? Were there a lot of DME questions?
Any feedback is appreciated.

COSC Examination

Hi Nichole - There was not a lot of DME in the exam. There was a good amount of Spine and foot, minimal E&M, and the usual joint replacements, fracture care. Some of the operative reports got quite complicated, I would suggest taking a highlighter! I underlined and made notes.

Be sure to know CPT rules (Read the beginning of the CPT and ICD-9 books closely). Each case has at least one modifier question, so be sure to know proper modifier usage. Know all the bones. You do not list that you have foot experience, so be sure to really study the foot, all the bones, muscles, tendons and ligments. From memory, I think there were a number of complicated questions regarding foot (and I have foot experience). There was a case in the either the study guide or online exam on foot that closely mirrored a few questions, so be sure to review that.

My background is very diverse. I have my CPC and COSC and have been in Compliance in Orthopaedics for the last two years auditing surgeries. Hope this helps! Karen

Sory I didn't see your reply until last week!

Karen,
Thank you so much for your advice and responding. I do have some foot surgery experience but it has been a while, and never bunions. Due to your advice I went back through all issues of the Coding Edge and found a few articles on bunion repairs. There are several acronyms for different surgeries that aren't listed in CPT or the coding companion. Needless to say I wrote them in and it was very helpful.
I've had several coders that have passed the specialty exams that have told me that it's the same method as taking your CPC. I found this to be incorrect with the COSC exam. I just took it Saturday. I found I didn't have time to look up procedures from the index. Thankfully I knew exactly which sections to turn to. I think I may actually have passed. If I didn't, then I think I missed it only by a few points.

COSC testing

I've been a CPC since 2005. I've worked mainly in Orthopedics and I'm preparing to take the COSC. I'm trying to get some feedback from anyone who's taken this. I only had to take my CPC once to pass. I've done trauma, spine and hand specialties.
I ordered the study guide last year and didn't find a lot of helpful information. I'm wondering if this exam follows more closely to CMS guidelines, or AAOS guidelines. Also I'm working on the online practice exam, and it looks like it's more focused on E&M coding. Did others find this to be true as well?
I'm wondering how many passed on the first attempt. If you've passed this exam, could you please tell me your background, and what you found to be helpful? Were there a lot of DME questions?
Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi Richard,

I took the COSC last month and passed on the first try. I believe there are a few different exams. I've been coding Orthopaedics for almost 2 years. I code Ortho Traumas, Orthosurgeries, Inpatient OrthoConsults and ER Ortho Consults. I found the 2013 Orthopaedics Study guide very helpful for diagnosis coding. The online tests were some what helpful, however daily coding is what helped me pass.

The practice exam I took was mostly surgeries. The exam had 3 or 4 E/M questions, 4-5 Spine cases, Hip replacements vs. revisions. Also, fractures, Shoulder scopes. There were a good bit of Staged or return to OR cases using Modifier 58 vs. 78. It was difficult and long, but from the experience you state you should be fine.

Follow the CPT guidelines. Do NOT go by CMS. Remember real life coding is much different than testing. Remember back to your CPC testing days. Totally different.

I'm sure you research Karen Zupko and AAOS; those sites helped me as well for studying.

I hope this helps

Joanne Volponi CPC COSC