Wiki Looking for advice from coders about getting first coding job.

Best answers
Hi, My name is Eugene Cooper, and I just graduated from College in a Medical Coding program. Since most of you have been through this process, I was looking for advice on methods to gain employment. I have been told by coding instructor (who is also a full time medical coder) that if I have no experience in medical coding, I should look at medical office jobs to gain entry, then work my way into a coding job. I have done 2 internships working with an Electronic Medical Record database in one of them, but that is it for now. I am a member of AAPC and I will be attending my first chapter meeting on Tuesday July 18th, which I am looking forward to gaining a "live coder network". But a virtual network via computer is just as valuable to me. If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it very much, and since I am so green at all this, forgive me if I show some ignorance to how to go about things, but it's been nothing but learning how to gain valid networks, and job hunting since graduating from college. I was able to attend college because I am receiving Social Security Disability, and am going through the Social Security's Ticket to Work program, which with my state vocational rehabilitation, helped me go back to school to receive my certificate of proficiency in medical coding, and they will also help with paying for my certification as well, but I want to become employed and gain medical experience first due to many personal reasons. I am looking forward to meeting and hearing from anyone who can give me solid advice on how to get started, because once I do become employed, my CPC-A certification is my next priority. Thank You Very much, Eugene Cooper

Same here

Great question, and I am wanting to know the same thing! I have been in the healthcare industry now for almost 10 years, mostly billing, but recently graduated from a medical billing and coding program back in November 2015. From that, I got a job where I am "kind of" in a coding position, except it's a "points system", but we read through the medical chart and capture charges as coders would capture diagnoses and procedures, however we do not directly apply any diagnosis or procedure codes. Anyway I am scheduled for my CPC exam this December, which I Am going to put that on my resume if I see anything I may be interested in. But I cannot and would prefer not to start from the bottom as I am almost there, but not quite there.

Last edited:
You need experience. You may want to start with billing for an independent practice.

I take it by stating that you would prefer not to "start from the bottom," you mean that you would like to jump in full swing into acute care inpatient/ED/ASC/Observation/or HIM (DRG/PCS) coding.

You may find this to be insurmountable. For example: I work for Kaiser Permanente as a Professional Service Coder, and in order for you to even test, you need two years of verifiable coding experience.

I got my 2+ years from an ophthalmology practice, rigorous study, and participation in HIM coding classes (the classes I took were an AHIMA accredited institution and carry much more weight than programs offered by Carrington, DeVry, etc.; as it leads to an RHIT/RHIA).

Certifications, references and bona fide experience carry the most weight in this field.

The modes of coding I listed above are arduous and difficult, and I've seen seasoned billers and charge review coders not be able to keep production and accuracy.

My best advice to you is to seek out an Independent Physician group or practice, learn the methodologies of the Revenue Cycle, build your skill through charge review edit captures and claims adjudication, and continue your coding education.

Also, large hospitals and foundations sometimes have 'Coder I' positions that are strictly devoted to charge review capture (Office visits, labs, path, rad, ekg, small procedure, etc...) The catch 22 is sometimes these positions are only for internal hire, and/or already require experience.

Be involved with your local AAPC chapters. Grow your network. Volunteer. You'll be surprised at how finding a new position may be easier. This was the case for me. I started visiting my local chapter and volunteering; a few months later, I was interviewing at Kaiser and low and behold, sitting across from me was the President of my chapter; she was the director of the coding dept... that definitely didn't hurt my chances ;)

Finally, there are more vaunted and respected certifications that the CPC, such as AHIMA's CCS, RHIT, and RHIA. Getting on of these certifications can make you really stand out, and will speak to your continued education in coding.

I'm not sure this was the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps shed some light on landing a position. Best of vibes and luck to you.