Wiki Locum Tenens/Residents

mrolf

Best answers
Our physicians provide monthly rotation for a resident physician program. These residents are always with the physicians as they are seeing the patient in the clinic. We only have a issue when the residents see the patient in the ER and the supervising doctor is not always available and the resident is seeing the patient alone. This would be nights and weekend call. My question is on the Q6 modifier and the locum tenens requirements. Have other offices used this modifier and has it applied to residents? Any help would be appreciated. My thoughts are that this senario would not apply for locum tenens, but I am being told by administration to use this modifier.

Thank You!

Locum Tenens.Residents

Good afternoon,

I agree with your "thoughts" that the scenario you described does not apply for locum tenens...

A resident is not a locum tenens. Residents are salaried and may not submit a charge for seeing a patient alone and in the absence of an attending. If a locum tenens were covering the emergency room, it would be that physician and not the resident who bills for the service(s).

Bottom line: if a resident sees the patient alone, it's time to get out the ketchup, knife and fork because all they can do is eat the charge.

Go with your instincts and if administration sees it otherwise, print off the rules and regulations regarding locum tenens.

Have a great day!

Joyce