Wiki Levels by Time

AmandaM2153

Best answers
Can anyone give me some direction on coding by time? One of the provider's I code for often likes to code her visits by time, and I'm wondering if there is any documentation I can give her for guidelines to follow. I know it's not best method, but can be done if certain criteria are met!

Thank you

E/M Levels by Time

Hello AmandaM2153,

Time is NOT a factor when coding for E/M services UNLESS the provider spends 50% or more of their time counseling/coordiantor of care with the patient, face-to-face. With that, the provider must document the amount of time, what is discussed and the plan of care that has been established for the patient. Please feel free to email me if you should have any more questions.....kandy@coasttocoastmedbilling.com

Best,
Kandy

:) Thanks Amanda, for clarifying this TIME issue. I work with Psychiatry and this issue came up recently.

Hello AmandaM2153,

Time is NOT a factor when coding for E/M services UNLESS the provider spends 50% or more of their time counseling/coordiantor of care with the patient, face-to-face. With that, the provider must document the amount of time, what is discussed and the plan of care that has been established for the patient. Please feel free to email me if you should have any more questions.....kandy@coasttocoastmedbilling.com

Best,
Kandy

Just to add a few more notes:
You CAN NOT code the E/M service based on time if there is Psychotherapy during the same encounter, since the Psychotherapy add-on codes are based on time.

Also, there is a distinction on Time depending on if the encounter is taking place in the office setting or inpatient setting.
Intraservice times are defined as face-to-face time for office and other outpatient visits and as unit/floor time for hospital and other inpatient visits. This distinction is necessary because most of the work of typical office visits takes place during the face-to-face time with the patient, while most of the work of typical hospital visits takes place during the time spent on the patient's floor or unit.