Wiki Level 1 visit

nc_coder

Expert
Best answers
A patient calls in stating he needs a lead level done for work purposes. We send a message to the provider to make sure it is ok for the pt to come in to have this done. The provider approves it. The patient comes in and has his blood drawn. We send it out for the levels to be done and the provider reviews the results. Can we bill a level 1 visit with the lab draw?

A patient calls in stating he needs a lead level done for work purposes. We send a message to the provider to make sure it is ok for the pt to come in to have this done. The provider approves it. The patient comes in and has his blood drawn. We send it out for the levels to be done and the provider reviews the results. Can we bill a level 1 visit with the lab draw?

No you may not for several reasons:
- the provider did not previously examine the patient for this reason and include this a a plan of care.
- it sounds like the provider was not in attendance at the time
- a code exists for the vein puncture
Also if this is a physician office then there must be a provider in attendance for you to bill the veinipuncture you may not use an NPI in field 24j that was not present at the time the service is rendered..

The provider was in the office at the time of the venipuncture. I didn't think we could bill the Level 1. I just needed someone to back me up on it.