Wiki Letters after id#

bearybubba2008

Networker
Best answers
I have been curious about this for several years and wonder if anyone knows that answer:

Does anyone know what the letters mean that are after a Medicare beneficiaries ID#? I think 'C' is for someone mentally challenged and 'D' is for a widow using her husband's SSN. Is there a list somewhere that shows what the letters mean?

Thanks!

I believe that the listing is found on either the Medicare or Social Security websites.
You can just google the questions and I think it will take you to the correct place. If you will notice the C follows someone else's SSN, not the pt's. This indicates that the pt has MCR coverage under a parent, thus the C designation. I have the list, but do not remember exactly which site provided it. You can always contact your MAC and then can direct you to the info. B and D are always a SSN other than the pt.

I believe that the listing is found on either the Medicare or Social Security websites.
You can just google the questions and I think it will take you to the correct place. If you will notice the C follows someone else's SSN, not the pt's. This indicates that the pt has MCR coverage under a parent, thus the C designation. I have the list, but do not remember exactly which site provided it. You can always contact your MAC and then can direct you to the info. B and D are always a SSN other than the pt.

I looked on the websites and couldn't find anything. And I did know that the 'C', 'D', and 'B' were another's ss#. Thanks!