Wiki Lesions

ValerieDUP!

Best answers
I'm hoping someone can help me. I rarely code lesions and especially not multiple ones. My patient is in a nursing home but my doc did all procedures as an outpatient at the hospital. I have come up with what I think is correct but I want to double check. I have enclosed a portion of the note. Thanks

Procedure: Multiple elliptical excisional biopsies and punch biopsies for suspected basal call carcinoma.

....In the right maxillary area, there was a 1.5cm ellitical excisional biopsy done and closed with 5-0 nylon interupted suture. On neck on the right side, there were two elliptical biopsies, one approximately 3cm and one 2 cm in lenghth through skin and superficial fat and closed with 4-0 nylon interupted sutures. On the right chest, there were two 5-mm punch biopsies done and closed with one 5-0 nylon suture for each and on the right chest there was a large 4-cm elliptcal excision done. There was undermining of the margins in order to close the lesion. This was closed with six 4-0 vertical matress sutures and four interupted simple sutures. (he used basal cell carcinoma dx for all lesions)

Lesions are coded separately

Read the guidelines in CPT for Biopsy of skin (CPT 11100-11101) and Excision of Benign (CPT 11400-11446) and Malignant (CPT 11600-11646) Lesions.

Each lesion excision or biopsy is coded separately, defined by location and size. Your physician calls these all "biopsies" but if he actually excised the entire lesion, even using a punch biopsy technique, then it should be coded as an excision not a biopsy. You may have to query him to verify.

You will need to have the pathology report before you can choose the correct codes. "Suspected" basal cell carcinoma is NOT a definitive diagnosis. Never give a patient a cancerous diagnosis without the confirmation of a pathology report.

Simple closure is included in all these codes. I see that the excision for one lesion required undermiing and layered closure. This closure is separately reportable.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC