Wiki Lesion removal sizing

mwells2020

Networker
Best answers
I have a question regarding what measurement everyone uses for a lesion removal? I have always coded and billed a lesion by the width (i.e. 2.4 x 1.6 x 0.9) I would code with the measurement of 2.4. My Dr. that removed this lesion said to use the measurement of 1.6 instead. I have never billed this way before and wondering if that is how anyone else bills. Thank You for your time in advance!

Assuming by 'removal' you mean excision, then per CPT, the measurement should be "the greatest clinical diameter of the apparent lesion plus that margin required for complete excision." So I would agree with you that you would use the 2.4 measurement since that is the largest dimension documented.

Agreed, when more than one dimension of a lesion is provided, use the largest side (e.g. 2.0 x 1.2 x 0.5cm) use 2.0cm as the lesion size.

Lesion size plus margins (e.g. 2.0cm lesion plus 0.2cm margin plus 0.2cm margin= 2.4 excised diameter

examples are also shown in the CPT book, Measuring and coding the removal of a lesion in the excision section.

Colleen Gifford, CPC, CPCD, CPB