Wiki Learning general surgery

kishacajun

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

My employers wants me to learn general surgery. I'm a coder with 11 years of outpatient coding experience. I've never coded general surgery before. I'm coding just about every other specialty except general surgery, ob/gyn, and orthopedic surgery. I'm a CPC, CPC-I, and I just got my CCS. Do you think that general surgery is a hard specialty to learn? I'm not sure if there is a person available currently that can train me on this specialty since we're in need of help right now. Does anyone know of a training course for learning general surgery or a bootcamp of some sort? Please help.

I do mainly general surgeries throughout the week, and it is pretty simple. Lots of colonoscopies, hernias, gallbladder removals and things like that. It is pretty simple, just mind your modifiers, and it should be easy. I'm a CPC-A and this is my first coding job, and I'm not doing awful at it!

easy!

General surgery is easy compared to what you have been doing. Purchase one of those general surgery coding books just to learn the ropes. There are few instances where you have multiple surgery coding. Most of the time its one code and your done! You may want to read up a little on excision of skin cancers. When you bill the excision and when you only bill the closure. I just can't think that you will struggle that much. Good Luck!