Wiki late effect

tmcquegge

Networker
Best answers
I'm sure this has been posted before. sorry I always get confused on late effect. I have a patient last year had open wound that healed but now has opened again. I don't think its a late effect just the open wound DX again but kinda wanted a second opnion. Thanks everyone I appreciate it.

Late Effects

A late effect is defined as 'the residual effect that remains after the acute phase of an illness or injury has terminated'.
There is no time limit on when a residual can occur: it may be apparent early , or it may occur months or years later.
The code for cause of the late effect can be located in the Alphabetic Index under the main term 'Late' and the subter 'effects of'
In most instances, two codes are required to completely code a late effect. The first code sequenced identifies the residual condition that is currently affecting the patient.
The second code listed describes the cause of the late effect- the orginal illness or injury that is no longer present in the acute form. ( Go to Late Effect in the index).
If you don't know the cause of the late effect, then skip it.

Tricia D
Providence Oncology