Wiki lariat procedure

lewis01

Best answers
Does anyone know if medicare cover this. The only code i could find for this is an unlisted procedure code 93799.

Does anyone know if medicare cover this. The only code i could find for this is an unlisted procedure code 93799.

Date: Friday, June 29, 2012

Question: Dr. Z. One of our facilities is starting to do left atrial occlusions with the use of a lariat snare device and a lasso catheter. I am questioning the information provided by the reps and would like your input on what CPT code(s) and ICD procedure codes should be used when billing for this procedure. Also what is the correct DRG for this? Thank you in advance for your help with this matter.

Answer: We recommend unlisted CPT code 33999. ICD-9 37.36 is the correct inpatient procedure code to use. This includes via thoracoscopic approach, percutaneous approach, endovascular approach or subxiphoid approach. Without concurrent stent procedures, see DRG 250 and 251- percutaneous cardiovascular procedure without coronary artery stent with or without MCC, respectively

I have found it more successful to bill using the 33999 unlisted code with a charge description LAA closure, it is strongly recommended that the freeform field of the claim form (Field 19,”Reserved For Local Use,” 61 characters in length) be used to present a crosswalk to another procedure(s) believed to be fairly equivalent and/or comparison to a code for which there is an existing valuation.

Of course first case we had to appeal because Novitas we telling us to use a 0218T code which is for an implant. After initial appeal we have just billed the 33999, put the claim on delay and faxed the notes in. We have been paid on 3 cases so far. Hope this helps!

Lariat Procedure

Date: Friday, June 29, 2012

Question: Dr. Z. One of our facilities is starting to do left atrial occlusions with the use of a lariat snare device and a lasso catheter. I am questioning the information provided by the reps and would like your input on what CPT code(s) and ICD procedure codes should be used when billing for this procedure. Also what is the correct DRG for this? Thank you in advance for your help with this matter.

Answer: We recommend unlisted CPT code 33999. ICD-9 37.36 is the correct inpatient procedure code to use. This includes via thoracoscopic approach, percutaneous approach, endovascular approach or subxiphoid approach. Without concurrent stent procedures, see DRG 250 and 251- percutaneous cardiovascular procedure without coronary artery stent with or without MCC, respectively

We have done one Lariat procedure and our Rep suggested to use 93799. Which is the correct CPT to use the 93799 Unlisted Cardiac Procedure or 33999 Unlisted Cardiac Surgery.

Any updates since 2012?

Is this information still current? Is it still recommended to bill using 33999 for the lariat procedure?

Thank you!